Thursday, August 1, 2013

Racine 70.3 RR

I had an entire draft written up for this race and absolutely hated it.  Everything sounded so robotic...maybe I just had some weird mental block because I'm focusing on Rev Dells?  I don't know.  Instead of writing up another standard race report I am going to try something slightly new by getting some more pics in here with quick tidbits of race day fun.  I might end up leaving out some stuff but that's ok!

This was my 2nd time doing Racine 70.3.  Last time was in 2011 and was my first half distance and can be summarized with 2 words: HOT and CRAMPS.  That is all.

I was no fan of the rough road conditions last time around, so I was not looking forward to the bike this year.  My goal for this race was sweet, sweet redemption.  I can say with confidence I achieved that goal : )
Since the race was Sunday, I arrived in Racine on Saturday morning.  Paul Eicher and his family were gracious enough to let me throw a tent on their camp site.  We had a blast!

Stuck inside Sunday post race.  Pouring rain for hours is no match for having fun!
On Saturday, Paul and I headed to the race site to get registered and do bike check in...we also got a nice swim in.  After getting my bike checked, I headed back to camp while Paul attended his pro meeting (he's sort of a big deal :P).

Race Highlights

Since I had such a late start I was very relaxed race morning.  After taking care of everything in transition and double checking my set up, I wandered towards the big hill overlooking the finish where I met Wattie Ink teammates Scott, Travis, Andrew Kohl, and Patrick.  I had also seen Cate and Jen earlier.  Since all the guys (including friend Mike T.) had roughly the same swim start we made our way down the beach together to get in a swim warm up.

Travis, Scott and I before warming up

Long walk down the beach
The swim was rough!  The wind was coming right into shore which made for less than ideal conditions.  During the swim I focused on keeping a high turnover, not taking in water and just going from buoy to buoy.  Very happy with how this turned out!  I came out of the water feeling great.  Time was 33:xx and I think 19th in the AG.  That's a big improvement for my weakest of the 3 disciplines.

Very happy to be done running on the beach!
Biking in Racine (as I mentioned before) is not very fun.  The roads are beat up and very congested for the later waves.  My best option was to just bike hard and keep passing people.  I was definitely out of my comfort zone, but felt really good throughout.  The back half of the bike had a lot of headwind, so I was really happy to see my pace didn't slow down as much as others.  Total time riding was 2:25:xx.

Bike start...biggest hill on the entire course

Done biking and eager to get off of those roads!
Heading onto the run was a slightly different story.  I just felt kind of bleh...stomach was in a knot and I could tell I would be dealing with leg cramps at some point.  Within the first few miles my stomach settled and I found my stride.  However, after I hit the first turnaround, I had some sort of leg cramp going on for the remainder of the race.  If it wasn't both quads feeling like they were being stabbed, one of my hamstrings was completely seized up.  Luckily, I am no stranger to this.  Experience has taught me cramps eventually go away so I kept downing liquids, taking salt tabs and just kept running.  I had no idea on my pace, my only focus was moving my legs and keeping a high cadence.  Total run time of 1:32:xx.

Finishing up lap 1


Finishing!  Still feeling pretty good at this point.
It was so much fun seeing teammates and friends out there and having people cheering on the course.  That is what keeps me going when I'm really hurting and ultimately keeps me in the sport.  Whenever my mind goes south I remind myself how fortunate I am to be able to take part in triathlon and any sport for that matter.  So a big thanks to everyone who was out there cheering and racing, whether I knew you or not.  As always, thanks to my coach Will (I love seeing the constant improvement), all of the awesome Wattie Ink team sponsors, and  BIG shout out to Nick G and Andrew Kohl's crew.  You got some great action shots out there!

How do we rock the dub again??

There it is!  haha...


No comments:

Post a Comment