Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Winter Training in the Midwest and Looking Ahead

Today marks the first day of Spring! ...at least on the calendar.  Wisconsin, and much of the Midwest/Northeast is continuing to get mid-winter like conditions.  Last year at this time, we were seeing temps in the 70's and even 80's, and are now well below normal temps.  But if memory serves me correctly, April and May had some pretty awful weather.  Maybe this year will be different?

Recently, I had gotten close to the point of a mental breakdown (not really).  Extended periods of time spent running on treadmills and riding on trainers is not my cup of tea (I prefer green).  However, this extended cold weather has allowed me to focus my energy on some positives:

  1.  I'm really starting to nail harder efforts on the trainer.  Really excited to see how this translates to my outdoor fitness.
  2. As much as I dislike running on treadmills, the controlled environment is making it much easier to focus on specific zone work prescribed by my coach.
  3. I love hot tubs even more now.
  4. Last year at this time I was dealing with some nagging foot/lower leg injuries.  Since I'm forced inside because of the cold (mainly right after training sessions), I've been spending A LOT more time foam rolling and getting quality stretching in.  This is key to remaining injury free.
LOOKING AHEAD!

My first "real" race of the season is coming up in about 2.5 weeks.  Its a small 13.1 in Milwaukee called the South Shore half-marathon.  I haven't been putting in a ton of mileage to really perform to my potential for this distance.  My hope is that my overall fitness (and lots of hill running) will translate to some decent speed.  I'm in my 3rd week of picking back up with my coach Will Smith.  I have 100% percent faith that he will get me to the start in a good place physically and mentally.  This will also (hopefully) be my first race rocking some awesome Wattie Ink Team Elite gear and K-Swiss kicks.  Now I just need to pray to the weather Gods that I'm not running on ice!


Think warm thoughts : )

No comments:

Post a Comment