Thursday, February 7, 2013

100 x 100 Swim and Chipotle - A Perfect Match

What did you do last Sunday?  I bet it wasn't swimming a 10k set in the pool.  Well, that's exactly what I did.  Call me crazy, but it was actually a lot of fun!  I'd highly recommend doing this with a fun group of friends, plenty of snacks, cookies and bacon (yes, we had BACON).  Unless of course you are a swimmer, then this shouldn't be such a big deal...

Bacon motivation!

We met at the Middleton high school pool at 11 am to start this epic swim.  The swim was broken up as follows, more or less:

10x100 swim w/u

5x100 drill/swim
5x100 band


10x100 kick w/ fins


10x 100 pull
- 5x pads only
- 5x 100 pads + buoy

10x 100 "pyramid of stroke"
- 100 free
- 75 free/25 stroke
- 50 free/ 50 stroke
- 75 free/ 25 stroke
- 100 stroke
- 100 stroke
- 75 stroke/ 25 free
- 50 stroke/ 50 free
- 25 stroke/ 25 free
- 100 free

*** snack break ***


5x100 IM
5x100 pull buoy

5x100 free
10x100 kick w/ fins
5x100 drill

5x100 drills
5x100 pull buoy only

6x100 free descend (1:45)
4x100 c/d


NOTE: I don't have fins so the kick sets were brutal and I don't how to butterfly (yet), so I substituted in 1 arm drills instead.  Also, everything was done at a casual pace.


Mid swim break.  Morale is still high : )
Surprisingly, I didn't really start to feel tired until about 7k in.  At that point my triceps and shoulders were very tired.  The first 50 of each 100 felt relatively good, but by the time we were coming back in on the 2nd lap I felt completely spent.  At one point I did feel like dropping out because my lungs hurt so bad.  From time to time I get exercise induced asthma.  I'm not sure if I was experiencing that or dry drowning?  During the 2nd kick set I took in a large amount of water and after that I had some difficulty getting in full breaths.  Instead of calling it on the spot I settled down a bit and focused on getting in full, relaxed breaths.  In hindsight, I should have just stopped, but I'm stubborn and was committed to finishing the workout.  Good thing I'm not a young child eh?  I only say that because dry drowning seems to be an issue with the young ones...

Anyway, I was able to come around and finish strong.  The group in my lane was coming in around 1:26-1:27 for the final 100's.  Some of the group decided they wanted to finish off with 100 sprints off the blocks.  Crazy.  Finishing off the day with Chipotle burritos was just what the doctor ordered.


The group post swim.  Spent, yet happy.
Burritos!

No comments:

Post a Comment